Friday, March 18, 2011

New Music: Superhuman Happiness - Fall Down Seven Times, Stand Up Eight

I've retired a couple classics this week, so I think it's time to make up for it by introducing a new band.  I heard these guys on KXLU yesterday morning while driving to work.  I didn't catch the title of the song, but the band is called Superhuman Happiness and they pretty much kick ass.

Based out of Brooklyn, Superhuman Happiness claims to "seek joy and love through shared rhythm and melody, composed and improvised."  They're big into instrumentals.  I'd say at least half of their tracks are groovy jams, often (always?) featuring Stuart Bogie on sax.  From what I can gather, Stuart's the ring leader of the group.

I've liked what I've heard so far and plan on going to Amoeba Records to find a hard copy of this release.  Go ahead and check out their songs on their myspace page here.  If you like it, lemme know.

UPDATE: So far I've done a pretty good job of staying true to this whole expired music concept.  A couple weeks ago I was driving with Krs10 (I was driving her car) with the radio turned down low when I realized Rush's "Freewill" was playing.  Instinctively I said "Oooh, Rush" and turned it up.  Then about five seconds into it I remembered this song had expired.  I immediately turned the radio off.  This annoyed Krs10, not because she's a Rush fan but because she thinks what I'm doing is ridiculous.  She turned the radio back on and we finished listening to the song.

Because we were in her car and she turned up the radio, I do not consider this a violation.  One step I haven't taken yet, is physically removing the seven or eight CD's worth of expired music from my iPod.*  This is primarily due to the fact that I'm lazy.  I fully intend on removing those tracks soon, but since I haven't, my iPod has been resting quietly on my dresser.  And FYI, I won't be deleting these files permanently, instead I'll store them away on an external harddrive.  I need a lot more data before I take a step as big as destroying/eliminating music for good.

*Even I'm surprised at the small number of expired CD's on my ipod.  This is another consequence of constantly losing CDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment