Saturday, April 16, 2011

Say goodbye 2 Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog

Released on A&M, April 16, 1991
Did anyone actually buy this album when it came out?  I certainly didn't.  Why would I when Mtv was playing the "Say Hello 2 Heaven" video round-the-clock?  According to Wikipedia, the answer is both yes and no.  The record initially sold only 70,000 copies in '91.  However, after the releases of "Badmotorfinger" (Exp. Oct. '11) and "Ten" (Exp. Aug. '11)* , A&M realized they had gold in their catalogue and rereleased the album in '92.  It went platinum.

I remember watching the video and thinking, "There are too many people in this band."  At some point somebody explained to me that it was part Pearl Jam part Soundgarden and that the record paid tribute to a friend of theirs who had died.  I know now that it was their friend Andrew Wood who had been the lead singer of Mother Love Bone.  MLB (sigh... could the Mets be any worse?) is a band I know absolutely NOTHING about.

I suppose, in a way, this record set the tone for what the 90's would become.  It at least opened the door.

Question: Does this record get radio play anymore?

*You better get to listening, because YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment