Monday, July 11, 2011

Go away, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open

Released July, 2nd 1991 on MCA
I don't like Tom Petty.  There, I said it.  I've always found him and his stupid hat* annoying. (And that's coming from a guy with a pretty ridiculous hat of his own)  I don't know if I can really pinpoint what it is about Petty that I dislike, but I'll try.

I feel like he's always complaining in his songs and when he sings it's like he's whining about having been served a sandwich with soggy lettuce.  And then, in his videos, he's always got that blank, emotionless expression as if to say "I'm too cool to let loose.  Besides, you should be focusing more on the impressive art design and clever concept of my video than my annoying face."  Well, Tom, I'd like to, but what's not being blocked by your stringy blonde hair is being obstructed by that damn hat. (p.s. I hate his stupid sunglasses, too)

The guy still has four more Heartbreaker releases, so Petty fans shouldn't have to panic just yet. 


*According to Wikipedia, his top hat expired in 1987 when his house burned to the ground. 

**Having never bought or owned a single Petty album, I can only base my opinion on the radio singles that get overplayed and the videos I remember from Mtv.   

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard American Girl, The Waiting, or Wildflowers?... I think you have just heard Last Dance a bunch of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, no. I've certainly heard those songs and more. But you're right, so many "classic" artists with hundreds of songs are too often represented on the radio by a mere three or four songs. And those radio songs may not be the best example of who the artist/band truly is. If radio stations would cycle through an entire album as opposed to only playing one or two singles, people may hear something they otherwise wouldn't hear and that might spark them to take a further interest in said artist/band.

    Regardless, this album has expired and I won't be listening to it ever again.

    ReplyDelete