Monday, September 19, 2011

Back in the holster, Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I, II

Released on Geffen Sept. 17th, 1991
Once again, I'm a couple days late in updating, but as of Saturday Gn'R's "Use Your Illusion I & II" have expired.  I don't have a lot to say in the record's defense.*  I've never been a Guns N' Roses fan.

If you've read any of my previous posts, you'll know I wasn't listening to much "hard rock" from the 80's and early 90's.  So when my friend showed me this CD in 1991 and began talking about its music and lyrics my eyes sort of glazed over.

I just remember repeating the title over and over in my head trying to wrap my brain around it.  It didn't (and still doesn't)  make much sense to me.  Maybe if I'd listen to the records or did any type of research, it would.  The album cover is the only thing that's really stuck with me.  I only now realized it's a small segment of a larger painting by Raphael.  I always thought it was a person bending over after having ben set on fire.  I was clearly wrong.

Anyhoo, all you GNR fans playing along are running low on available content.  "Appetite for Destruction" expired four years ago.  "GNR Lies," three years ago.  I haven't heard "Chinese Democracy" (Exp. '28) but from the few reviews I read after its release I can't imagine I'm missing out.  I suggest you consider this a prime opportunity to replace GNR with a new, relevant band/record from the past twenty years.

*I'm starting to realize how truly uninformative my blog can be at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment